Skip to main content

It Will be Fun and Terrifying

 

I pretend to be obsessed with Russian history and social movements, but this volume has been sitting on my shelf for the past year and I still haven't gotten through all of it. When I first started reading about 90's Russia, National Bolshevism, and nationalist movements in general this was exactly the sort of book I wished existed and now it does. Some of Adam Curtis' journalism touches on some of the themes here as well, which for me boil down to: Russian politics are so much more interesting than ours. Not to live through ( though from where I live we seem to be inching our way towards a softer version of 90's Russia which might not be totally fair since I live in Buffalo) but as a political environment to study. For all of our fringe political thinkers and movements, nothing outside of the competition between the boring center right and the boring center left has any depth. We don't have intellectuals forming post-modern extremist movements based on self consciously absurd ideological constructs, just different types of Puritanism with political arms. 

Fenghi traces the development of the National Bolshevik Party from its inception in the novels of Limonov and the ideas of Dugin to its breaking into two currents of thought: the pro-Putin Eurasianists and the anti-Putin Other Russia (this is a simplification but that's the quick version of his theme). This is yet another work on Russia that I read (or started to read) over the past year whose contents were given a whole different context by the SMO in Ukraine. Limonov's death also shifts my own focus to questions about what happens to a movement when a charismatic leader dies. There are other literary figures who are still part of or on the fringes of the movement, but Limonov seemed to BE the party during the ideologically empty but politically active post-Dugin years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a double book review

Disenchanged Wanderer: The Apocalyptic Vision of Konstantin Leontiev.  by Glen Cronin. Published by Cornell Press. High White Notes: The Rise and Fall of Gonzo Journalism.  by David Wills. Published by Beatdom Books. Adventures in Overthinking: Reactionary Russians and the Fall of Gonzo    I think you're supposed to read new books occasionally but as some of the poorly constructed paragraphs in the entries below imply, I don't do that very often. I've read two newish books recently, one the Leontiev biography I was losing my mind over a few months back and the second one a biography/literary analysis of Hunter S. Thompson. The latter joins a long list of books that have tackled Thompson but this is the first one I've read in a while that actually seemed necessary for people who like his books and take them seriously. The world doesn't need the 20th memoir by someone who hung out in Thompson's kitchen and thinks they're some kind of insider because they share

Disenchanted Russian Reactionaries

For the first time in quite a few years I'm impatiently waiting for a book release. It's a rare event for a number of reasons, the primary ones being that most of my reading consists of 1 - biographies and novels that I've read a dozen times before and 2- as many already published books I can find on whatever topic I happen to be obsessed with at the moment (more on that in the future). Well the stars have aligned and a new release is overlapping with a topic that fit into that second category: Russian writer  and the subject of Cornell Press's Disenchanted Wanderer: The Apocalyptic Vision of Konstantin Leontiev . For anyone interested in the history of Russian conservatism or just Russian culture in general, Leontiev is a refreshing and interesting figure because of his biography and the impossibility of categorizing him according to modern standards. A minor noble born in 1861, he developed an aesthetic approach to life and morality, prioritizing the picturesque over